If you or a dear one of yours have suffered an injury while visiting someone else’s property, home or business place, the injured has the right to file a lawsuit against the owner of the property where the injury occurred. Said injury can happen due to different causes like wet floors, faulty elevators, uneven steps, defective sidewalks and parking areas, dog bites, poorly lit staircases, etc.
It is the responsibility of the property owner or the house owner, to give reasonable care to those who are visiting their property. This implies that they have the liability to keep the premises neat and safe so that the safety and well-being of the visitors are ensured. They have the responsibility to assure that no dangerous situations are prevalent anywhere on the premises, which can cause any kind of accident. If there are any repairs that need to be done, they must be done beforehand, and if any dangerous situations are prevailing in the premises, the visitors must be given proper warning of the danger.
If the property owner fails to execute reasonable care to the visitors, they can be held liable for the injuries which the visitors suffer due to this negligence.
Here are certain important things you must do in case you are injured while on someone else’s property.
- Get Medical Assistance Soon: The severity of the wounds may not be clearly understood at the time of the accident. Sometimes the wound may seem to be a small one, but it can have detrimental effects later, if not treated immediately.
- Take Pictures: You should remember to take photographs of the accident site and the wounds. This can be useful to you later while you make the claim. The pictures can show the severity of the accident, which may not be clearly understood through mere words.
- Collect The Important Information And Evidence: You can speak to the ones who witnessed the accident, to collect the necessary information. Moreover, if there are any shreds of evidence available, be sure to collect them for supporting your claim in the future.
- Get The Copy Of The Police Report Or The Incident Report: Depending on the kind of accident that occurred, you should remember to get an incident report or police report. This report will contain all the important details about the accident.
- Do Not Sign Any Release Of The Insurance Company: The insurance adjuster will try to make you sign a release by which they will try to settle the case. However, abstain from such dealings until you get advice from a personal injury lawyer who works on your behalf.
Your injury lawyer can help you in filing a personal injury claim against the liable property owner.